Wednesday, November 24, 2010

push pull!

Here's my push pull natural animation. An exaggerated version is in the works.
It's my first legitimate foray into the world of compositing as well, which is lots of fun in and of itself.

See it in HD here! (7.1MB)
You may want to right click, save as. The colors look pretty cruddy in firefox right now... at least on this computer.

Time crunch got pretty bad towards the end of this project too so it's likely that I'll go back and touch up the animation and possibly the rendering as well.

value painting

intermediary & final

final is color corrected to compensate for the different appearance of the image when viewed outside of photoshop. I suspect it's due to a discrepancy in color profiles used inside and outside the program. I'll probably look into a way during break of standardizing things when I work in photoshop so I can cut back of all the problems that come up when coming out of it. If anybody's already got some profiles know how and would like to share though, please do!

Friday, November 5, 2010


A black & white painting I'm working on for DFA right now. Super High Res. Photoshop. (jpg profiles made it a lot darker too...)

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

stuff from DFA

Finally, a legitimate post.
These is some of the things I've made in drawing for animators so far this year. Our first project was a character design project where we looked to random sources (photos of textures, random line drawings (aka, "doodles'), and abstract silhouettes) for character inspiration. We drew over them to create our characters, much like finding images in clouds, and then chose a few to develop further. These are all the characters I came up with from the project.

There were a lot of misses, but some cool stuff came out of it and it was a really fun process regardless. This bird guy is one that I shaded. I found him in a photo of tin foil. Below that is a character I found in one of the doodles. I'm using him for the push pull animation assignment right now.

After that project we did our self caricatures for lip sync (to be made animated next semester). I went through a lot of design exploration and ended up at a horrible place. Thanks to the encouragement and help of my friends here, and my own realization of how bad the design I had really was, I went back to drawing. With a few parameters in mind I drew a whole bunch of stuff.

Until I finally hit this,

which was then painted as this (for a possible lighting/texturing mock-up).